Day 5 - 74 Miles Jeff Busby to Ratliff Ferry

March 20, 2013:
Woke up at a reasonable time 7:30am and did not get going until 9:20am, temperature was in the low 40's we are now getting tailwinds and make good timing to our next destination. Around 13 miles from the days stopping point, I hear and feel another ping from the rear wheel and it's another broken spoke. George suggests to see if I can continue on to the campground, I take a look to see if the wheel is rubbing against the brakes, which is sightly rubbing, so I released the brake cable to my rear wheel. I ride on hoping that the rear wheel will hang on until we get to the campground.

Our destination for the day is Ratliff Ferry to a private campground. We arrive in decent time 4:30 and pay $5 each for a primitive site and the store sells beer. They have hot showers which is all I care about, and is at a fair price. We exit the store and ready our bikes so we can ride with our beer over to the campsite, someone in a pickup truck starts asking the regular questions "Where did you come from, how many miles, ETC". Then he asks if we are staying here and starts telling his story of where he came from and he has rear tire issues on his pickup truck, I think he introduced himself, but his name did not stick, so I will call him "Snake"(as you read on you will understand why I call him "Snake"). We are really not paying too much attention to "Snake"while we ready our bikes so we can get our beers and bike to the camp site. Then "Snake" invites us over to his campsite for beers and campfire. We then ride off to our primitive campsite, which is in a separate area than the rest of the campground, we setup camp, cook dinner, drink beer and talk about the day's highlights while I replace my broken spoke. Installed a new spoke and then check over the wheel for any other loose spokes, I found a loose one, wiggled it then it broke, so I replace that one as well. So now that dinner, bike maintenance are done I take a hot shower and now I'm ready to relax. Setup my hammock have a cigar, drink more beer and chill out for a hour or so. George hits the ground early and we never make it over to "Snake's" campsite.  

George in front of French Camp B & B





No comments:

Post a Comment